In this episode, I sit down with Daniel Grimmett. He is a full-time business consultant who helps music producers get more clients. He also runs a production company called the Songwriting Team. We talk about the first steps he takes to help grow a client’s business, the difference between pros and amateurs, as well as how to build authority and trust in the industry.
This episode is brought to you by Splice.
Splice is a platform and community for music producers that is revolutionizing the way music is produced. They have Splice Studio, where you can collaborate online with your friends, as well as share project files with your fans. They also host remix contests on their community page. They offer plugins on a rent to own basis, allowing you gain immediate access to plugins such as Serum and Ozone 8.
There is also Splice Sounds, which allows you to pick samples from a bank of 2 million+ samples for just $7.99 a month.
You can get a free month of samples by visiting splice.com/edmprod-music and using promo code “EDMPROD”.
Links from the episode:
Connect with Daniel Grimmett:
- How he got into music (3:40)
- Challenges with the Songwriting Team (10:10)
- How to develop trust with a client (13:22)
- Struggles with producing for other artists (15:35)
- Why pros don’t romanticize their music (16:48)
- The difference between pros and amateurs (18:30)
- Common struggles with his clients (21:05)
- What makes certain coaching clients more successful (26:35)
- Struggles with more experienced artists (29:05)
- What the first 30 days might look like with a client (31:05)
- The pros and cons of diversifying (39:35)
- Full Time Music Industry (40:33)
- His favorite books and resources (46:50)
- Three final pieces of advice (49:15)