Genix is a man who needs little introduction to the electronic music world, as he’s one of the forefront Anjunabeats artists with a rich reputation in the music industry. In episode 33 of The EDM Prodcast, Sam Matla explores the inner workings of the former Passion UK resident DJ, promoter, and Guinness World Record holder for longest DJ set. Damion Houchen (Genix) provides a wealth of knowledge on the music industry and electronic music production in this short but sweet interview.
What we talk about:
- How to get started in the music industry, or subsequently, transferring to different areas of it
- The importance of pulling inspiration versus directly imitating other artists
- Understanding writer’s block as a natural obstacle
- Balancing and developing both technical and composition writing skills
- Starting projects with a blank canvas to actually improve workflow
- Working on one project versus working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Layering and processing synths to form bigger, more lush sounds
[x_button shape=”square” size=”large” float=”none” block=”true” href=”https://www.edmprod.com/itunes” info_trigger=”hover”]Subscribe on iTunes and get episodes as they go live![/x_button]
Genix on the Web:
The Music Marketing Academy
Want more plays and followers?
Check out Budi Voogt’s Music Marketing Academy and get access to a free video series (includes case study on how Budi took San Holo to over 180,000 followers on Soundcloud).
Note: as a prodcast listener, you’ll also get a free 24-page PDF titled “Understanding the Music Industry” in which you’ll learn about the dynamics of the industry, the importance of booking agents and managers, and more.
Leave a rating and review on iTunes
Ratings and reviews help the podcast grow which means two things: I become happy, and I can also get more popular guests on the show. Head on over to this link and leave a rating and a review with your thoughts (you can just say “Thanks Sam,” if you like).
Until next time, have fun producing!