This week, Ali Story sat down to chat for the EDM Prodcast.
Marie aka Ali Story is a Tech House producer based in Northern Ireland, who is known for infusing her songwriting chops into a groovy dance music context.
In this episode, we cover how she really invested into her career during lockdown last year and how it paid off. She covers how she went all-in after losing her job and that once she had momentum, things kept growing.
We talk about her recent releases, Smile, and Higher Love, and how she uses the classic piano house sound in a modern context. During this, we talk about how she got signed to Axtone (Axwell from Swedish House Mafia’s label) by being persistent and trying to get signed by many different labels.
Marie’s story is an inspirational one of persistence, collaboration, and going ‘all-in’, and as you’ll notice, she’s very switched on with the business and promotion side of things, thanks to her background in marketing. So if you’re a producer who’s looking to grow your music project, tune in.
Smile → https://axtone.lnk.to/SMILE
Higher Love → https://loveother.lnk.to/HigherLoveLO
Addictive Keys → https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_keys
Spotify For Artists → https://artists.spotify.com/
Connect with Ali Story:
Instagram → https://www.instagram.com/alistorydj/
Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/alistorydj
Twitter → https://twitter.com/AliStoryDJ
Spotify → https://open.spotify.com/artist/4ek5ExkJLsIHouFsiQyPpx?si=c68679b54952448d
Soundcloud → https://soundcloud.com/alistory
- 0:00 Intro
- 2:58 Interview start & Ali Story’s background
- 7:58 Do you need classical training?
- 11:25 Going ‘all in’ on music
- 15:40 Did working in marketing help your own social media and promotion?
- 19:02 Keeping your sound diverse
- 21:54 You don’t have to be the best at everything
- 26:34 The last 10% of the track
- 30:45 Objective feedback vs subjective feedback
- 32:38 Combining underground and mainstream influences
- 34:25 Writing with the club in mind
- 38:05 Your sound evolves over time
- 39:50 The success of ‘Smile’ and working with Axtone
- 43:12 Spotify for Artists and editorial playlists
- 46:51 ‘Higher Love’ and working with vocalists
- 50:35 How the ‘Lily Mckenzie – Lovers & Friends’ remix opportunity came about
- 55:38 What’s coming up next?
- 59:36 How do you balance music and work?
- 01:01:49 Listening to audiobooks
- 01:05:47 If you have a time machine, what would you go back and change?
- 01:12:24 Where can people find you online?
Website → https://edmprod.com
Instagram → https://instagram.com/edmprodgram
Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/EDMPsite
Soundcloud → https://soundcloud.com/edmprod
Spotify → https://sptfy.com/edmprod
Aden Russell (Artsea):
Instagram → https://instagram.com/iamartsea
Facebook → https://facebook.com/iamartsea
Spotify → https://sptfy.com/iamartsea
Soundcloud → https://soundcloud.com/iamartsea