“Don’t pursue a song unless you’re starting with something people can remember the song by.”—Enamour
In this episode, I have a chat with progressive/deep house producer Enamour. He’s fresh of his latest release “Ruby” on Anjunadeep, and he just released a full start-to-finish course on how he made this track on Sonic Academy. In this interview, we chat about how he got his start in the music industry, how he finds time for both production and touring with a full-time job, and how he approaches songwriting and arrangement.
This episode is brought to you by EDM Foundations.
EDM Foundations is my course for new producers, those who’ve been producing for under 12 months, or even those who’ve just started. You can learn more about it here.
The whole idea of the EDM Foundations course is that you learn the fundamentals of music production by actually doing and not just learning concepts. The course consists of 12+ hours worth of streamable video where I walk you through the creation of 3 songs, and give you advice for creating your own original.
We’ve had over 1700 people sign up for the course, many of them have had great results. Hope to see you in there.
Links from the episode:
Connect with Enamour:
- His musical background (3:12)
- Growing his career (8:18)
- Finding a work/life balance (10:20)
- Dealing with “writer’s block” (12:12)
- Touring with a 9-5 (13:39)
- His writing workflow (14:32)
- Turning ideas into full songs (16:28)
- How make more dynamic, evolving music (18:25)
- Creating musical tension (21:15)
- Securing a DJ residency (20:04)
- How to build a local following (24:16)
- His latest release “Ruby” (26:42)
- His new production course on Sonic Academy (28:15)
- Final pieces of advice for producers (31:150