“In order to let yourself make those creative accidents, you need to be willing to make a bad song ” – JNTHN STEIN
In this episode, I sit down with JNTHN STEIN. He’s a fantastic producer who you may know from his Ableton Push 2 videos. We chat about his background, crowdfunding a recording studio with half of the the Grammy award winning duo Brasstracks, linking up with Team Supreme, as well being featuring in the Ableton Push 2 launch. We also chat about how he connects the emotional and technical sides of music, a concept that is sure to open your eyes about the songwriting process.
This episode is brought to you by Splice.
Splice is a platform and community for music producers that is revolutionizing the way music is produced. They have Splice Studio, where you can collaborate online with your friends, as well as share project files with your fans. They also host remix contests on their community page. They offer plugins on a rent to own basis, allowing you gain immediate access to plugins such as Serum and Ozone 8.
There is also Splice Sounds, which allows you to pick samples from a bank of 2 million+ samples for just $7.99 a month.
You can get a free month of samples by visiting splice.com/edmprod-create and using promo code “EDMPROD”.
Links from the episode:
Connect with JNTHN STEIN:
- His new track Driving (2:57)
- His production workflow (4:12)
- What helps his creativity (6:58)
- His background in music (10:05)
- Getting into production (16:25)
- Developing a recording studio (19:16)
- Connecting with Team Supreme (20:38)
- Getting into the Ableton Push (25:10)
- The challenges of running a studio (30:25)
- Why quantity over quality is extremely important (33:20)
- How his management helped pushed his career (38:32)
- “Start with the emotional, then work your way down to the musical” (41:12)
- Advice for producers struggling with writer’s block (49:12)
- “The difference between knowing the path and walking it” (51:40)