In this episode, I have a chat with Jameson Shelnut. He’s an events management expert and has been the tour manager for acts such as Rezz, Drezo, and Destructo, and is currently the VJ for San Holo. We talk about how to best network with other artists, how to get into event management, and how to forge your own career in the music industry.
This episode is brought to you by Splice.
Splice is a platform and community for music producers that is revolutionizing the way music is produced. They have Splice Studio, where you can collaborate online with your friends, as well as share project files with your fans. They also host remix contests on their community page. They offer plugins on a rent to own basis, allowing you gain immediate access to plugins such as Serum and Ozone 8.
There is also Splice Sounds, which allows you to pick samples from a bank of 2 million+ samples for just $7.99 a month.
You can get a free month of samples by visiting splice.com/edmprod-music and using promo code “EDMPROD”.
- How he manages multiple projects (4:55)
- What is a tour manager/VJ? (8:06)
- His background (9:41)
- Why passion is the key to success (15:40)
- How to properly network (17:42)
- The difference between U.S. and European festivals (20:24)
- Are festivals slowly dying? (26:48)
- The best and worst parts of his job (30:17)
- Career advice (33:32)
- Joox music (40:03)
- Final words of wisdom (43:56)