“If you’re truly passionate about music, you can make it work with other things on your plate.”—Zach from Syence
In this episode, I have a chat with Zach, half of the production duo Syence. He’s a very talented producer based out of Los Angeles, and is a core member of the Hyperbits Masterclass team. In this episode, we talk about how he got into production, how he got good at production while being a full time student, whether or not you should move to Los Angeles, working on the Hyperbits Masterclass, and much more.
This episode is brought to you by EDM Foundations.
EDM Foundations is my course for new producers, those who’ve been producing for under 12 months, or even those who’ve just started. You can learn more about it here.
The whole idea of the EDM Foundations course is that you learn the fundamentals of music production by actually doing and not just learning concepts. The course consists of 12+ hours worth of streamable video where I walk you through the creation of 3 songs, and give you advice for creating your own original.
We’ve had over 1000 people sign up for the course, many of them have had great results. Hope to see you in there.
Links from the episode:
Connect with Syence
- His background (3:10)
- Deciding to switch careers (13:20)
- Should you quit school to pursue music (16:10)
- The importance of time management (21:02)
- Quantity v quality (24:40)
- When he knew his music was “professional” (28:25)
- Attending Pyramind (36:20)
- Should you move to Los Angeles? (45:30)
- Working with Serik/Hyperbits (51:35)
- Final pieces of advice (58:03)