In this episode, I sit down with Australian producer Bad Computer. After signing to Monstercat last year, he’s made waves with a number of fantastic originals. We chat about how Monstercat discovered him, his workflow, how he approaches his mixdowns and sound design, the importance of artist direction, and much more.
This episode is brought to you by EDM Foundations.
EDM Foundations is my course for new producers, those who’ve been producing for under 12 months, or even those who’ve just started. You can learn more about it here.
The whole idea of the EDM Foundations course is that you learn the fundamentals of music production by actually doing and not just learning concepts. The course consists of 12+ hours worth of streamable video where I walk you through the creation of 3 songs, and give you advice for creating your own original.
We’ve had over 1000 people sign up for the course, many of them have had great results. Hope to see you in there.
Links from the episode:
Connect with Bad Computer:
- Where the name comes from (3:22)
- Launching Bad Computer (5:05)
- Developing his sound (6:25)
- Learning music production (7:08)
- What drives him to write (8:48)
- How to make rapid progress (10:30)
- Finding an artistic direction (11:22)
- Mixdowns (13:10)
- Harmonic density (15:05)
- Achieving complexity (17:25)
- His mixing workflow (19:22)
- How he approaches sound design (20:33)
- His production workflow (24:52)
- Finishing tracks (29:18)
- Signing to Monstercat (29:45)
- His daily schedule (31:55)
- Lessons to his younger self (35:35)
- What’s up next (36:42)